May 5-7, 2000
The 38th Annual Cornell Topology Festival was held
May 5-7, 2000. There were eight one-hour invited talks, a table for
preprints*, and many interesting conversations.
The festivities began on Friday,
May 5, with tea at 3:30 PM followed by the first talk at 4:30 PM and a
banquet on Friday evening. The festival
ended at noon on Sunday. A detailed schedule and abstracts of the talks are available.
- STEPHEN BIGELOW (University of California at Berkeley)
BRAID GROUPS ARE LINEAR
- MARTIN BRIDSON (Oxford University)
SUBGROUPS OF SEMIHYPERBOLIC GROUPS
- CHRIS CONNELL (University of Illinois at Chicago)
VOLUME GROWTH RIGIDITY
- ROSS GEOGHEGAN (Binghamton University)
SL(2) ACTIONS ON THE HYPERBOLIC PLANE
- THOMAS MARK (Michigan State University)
CURVE-COUNTING AND SEIBERG-WITTEN INVARIANTS OF
- JOHN ROE (Pennsylvania State University)
AMENABILITY AND ASSEMBLY MAPS
- MARK SAPIR (Vanderbilt University)
SOME APPLICATIONS OF HIGMAN EMBEDDINGS
- KEVIN WHYTE (University of Utah)
LARGE SCALE GEOMETRY OF GRAPHS OF GROUPS
*A Klein bottle donated by Acme Klein bottles was awarded to
a randomly selected contributor to the preprint table.
Questions and comments may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The picture at the top of this page comes from The
Last modified: Mon May 8 09:07:14 EDT 2000