David W. Henderson, Department of Mathematics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-4201, USA
Some Papers and Talks (see my Vita for a complete list)
- "Geometric Solutions of Cubic and Quadratic Equations", Pythagoras, 1994.
- "Geometric Proof and Knowledge Without Axioms At All Levels", Perspectives on the Teaching of Geometry for the 21st Century, Catania, Italy: University of Catania, 98-100, 1995.
- "Geometry from School to University: Professional Aspects", Plenary Address to the ICMI Study on Geometry: Perspectives on the Teaching of Geometry for the 21st Century , Catania, Italy: University of Catania, 1995.
- "Alive Mathematical Reasoning", a chapter in Educational Transformations: Changing our lives through mathematics; A tribute to Stephen Ira Brown. Editors: Francis A. Rosamond and Larry Copes. Bloomington, Indiana: AuthorHouse, 2006, pages 247-270.
An earlier version of this paper first appeared in Proceedings, 1996 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Mathematics Education Study Group, Halifax, NS: Mount Saint Vincent University Press, 27-33, 1996.
- "I learn mathematics from my students -- multiculturalism in action", For the Learning of Mathematics, 16, 34-40, 1996.
- (with D. Taimina) "Experiencing Geometry", NORMA-98, Nordic Mathematics Education Conference Proceedings, Kristiansand, Norway, 1998.
- "Giving Professors Permission to Change Their Teaching", Teaching Mathematics on the Undergraduate Level, International Commission on Mathematics Instruction Study Conference, Singapore, 1998.
- "Proof as a Convincing Communication that Answers -- Why?", Presented to the MAA Special Session on Proof in Mathematics Education, AMS-MAA Joint Meetings, San Antonio, January, 1999.
- "Square roots in the Sulba Sutra", Geometry at Work: Papers in Applied Geometry (editor, C. A. Gorini), MAA Notes Number 53, pp. 39-45, 2000.
- (with Daina Taimina) "Crocheting the Hyperbolic Plane"pdf-final version html-preliminary version, Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 17-28, Spring 2001.
- "Differential Geometry", invited signed article for the new Encyclopaedia Britannica, accepted, due for publication 2003.
- "Review of Where Does Mathematics Come From by Lakoff and Nunez", Mathematical Intelligencer, Vol. 24, No. 1, Winter 2002, pp.75-78.
- "Review of Geometry: Euclid and Beyond by Robin Hartshorne", Bulletin of the A.M.S., 39 (October 2002), pg 563-571.
- (with Daina Taimina)"How to Use History to Clarify Common Confusions in Geometry", Chapter 6 in From Calculus to Computers: Using Recent History in the Teaching of Mathematics, editors A. Shell and D. Jardine, MAA Notes volume No.68, 2005, p.57-73.(MSWord document) (.PDF file)
- (with Daina Taimina)"Experiencing Meanings in Geometry", Chapter 3 in Aesthetics and Mathematics, (edited by David Pimm and M. Sinclair), Springer-Verlag. 2006, p.58-83.