If you want me to write a recommendation letter....
If I have agreed to write a recommendation for you, please send me an email with the following information:
Furthermore, at least two weeks before the first letter is due,
e-mail me ("tsh" (at) math(dot)cornell(dot)edu) your answers to the following questions (the more details the better):
- a copy of your transcript (unofficial is fine),
- a copy of your personal statement (if applicable), and
- all necessary links / a list of the programs you are applying to.
Please send me e-mail reminders as deadlines approach, and feel free
to chat with me about other ways you can make the letter writing
process go as smoothly as possible for you and your letter writers.
- What is your name, year, and major?
- For what are you applying? (scholarship, graduate school,
- List the programs to which you are applying, together with
- How long have I known you (years/months), and what is my relationship(s) to
you (instructor, advisor, etc.)? Have you graded or tutored for me? If so, for what class(es) and when?
- For what class(es) have I had you, what final grade(s) did
I assign you, and how did you distinguish yourself in my
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are some of your academic accomplishments?
- What are some of your nonacademic accomplishments?
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this
- What are your long term goals and will this position/honor/award
help? If so, how?
- Additional comments (REU's, summer research, interesting jobs,
Department of Mathematics
This web page is based loosely on Michael Orrison's analogue (what a good idea).