Undergraduate Tutor Positions
Title: Undergraduate Tutor for the Mathematics Support Center
Applicants should (at minimum) be able to help students with the material taught in
- Calculus I (MATH 1110),
- Calculus II (MATH 1120),
- Finite Math for the Life and Social Sciences (MATH 1105),
- Calculus for the Life and Social Sciences (MATH 1106).
Those with sufficient background to tutor for some of the upper-level math courses are especially encouraged to apply.
- Conduct one-on-one and small-group tutoring sessions for students on a walk-in basis.
- Staff the Math Support Center during specific assigned hours each week. (Additional hours will be available during busy times of the semester, such as right before an exam is held in one of the courses.)
- Develop new materials for the center during quiet times.
- Attend a one-hour training session for new tutors (first-time hires only).
The undergraduate positions of tutor, course assistant, and grader follow a two-tier pay system. Effective January 1, 2018, new hires will be paid $11.00/hour, and the pay rate will increase to $11.50/hour after two semesters of employment for the Mathematics Department (not necessarily consecutive or in the same position).
Jobs are in demand and fill quickly. To receive early consideration, please submit your application by early March for the fall semester or mid November for the spring semester. Job offers are made one semester at a time with no guarantee of future employment. If you receive an offer (by e-mail), respond as soon as possible to accept (or decline). When a position opens up, we hire the first qualified applicant we can reach. Therefore, it is imperative that you keep your contact information current and check your email regularly.
Information for New Hires
If you have never been a Cornell student employee before, you must complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Form before you can begin work. Fill out Section 1 and bring the form along with the original accepted documents (listed on the last page) to Heather Peterson in 310 Malott Hall.
Paychecks and Time Reporting
This position is subject to the Non-exempt Biweekly Payroll Calendar. Report your time using KRONOS by noon on each pay period end date. Payroll Services will issue your paycheck on alternate Thursdays to the home address provided by you through Student Center. (Under Contact Information, click the "Home" link to edit your address.) To avoid lost, stolen, or delayed paychecks, sign up for Direct Deposit.
Contact Heather Peterson (email@example.com) if you have any questions. Payroll Services has some very useful links.